Sunset, Storytelling and Stargazing on Waitt’s Mount
Saturday, September 7, 2019
6:00 – 10:00pm – This event is ON!
6:30 pm: Children’s Storytelling
7:00 pm: “Stories Only You Can Tell”
7:30 pm: Live music from the Neal Itzler & Larry Terry
7:45 pm: Stargazing
Invite your neighbors! See you at the top of Waitt’s Mount!
- This is an all-ages event. Storytelling with Sharon Kennedy is geared towards children, while the “Stories Only You Can Tell” is geared more for adults. The sunset and stargazing is for everyone!
- This event is co-sponsored by Ward Councillor Ryan O’Malley and Malden Reads.
- Malden Reads will be acknowledging its 10th year anniversary celebration at this event. Come help us celebrate!
- Click here for a history and some interesting information about the park, which surrounds Malden’s highest point of elevation.
- Encourage your friends and neighbors to come!
- This event is funded in part by a grant from the Malden Cultural Council, a local agency, funded through the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.4 City C
What should you expect for the event?
- We will have an “official” presence at the park beginning at 6:00 p.m. Families may wish to come earlier to enjoy the variety of playground equipment at the park. Bring a picnic dinner if you’d like!
- Professional storyteller Sharon Kennedy will begin telling children’s stories at approximately 6:30 pm.
- Children’s storytelling will be followed by “Stories Only You Can Tell,” personal stories told by community members under the direction of local author/poet/spoken-word artist CD Collins. Tonight’s storytellers & story titles are Steve Rose (“The Wishing Star”), Mai Du (“The Timeless Sky”), and Mekka Smith (“Today”).
- Enjoy acoustic music by Berklee-affiliated musicans Neal Itzler and Larry Terry beginning at approximately 7:30 pm.
- Stargazing will begin around 7:45 pm and continue as twilight, then darkness, falls. Several telescopes will be set up for viewing, and members of the North Shore Amateur Astronomy Club, the Amateur Telescope Makers of Boston, and Lynn #popscope will serve as guides to the night sky.
- While people take turns at the telescopes, conversation, story-sharing and social interaction is encouraged–let’s meet each other under the beauty of a night sky!
- In case of a rainy forecast, the event will be cancelled. Cancellation might occur up until noon of the day’s event. A cloudy forecast (where the skies will be too cloudy to see stars) may mean the cancellation of the telescopes, but not the entire event. We will still enjoy the night sky and the other activities. Please check the website on the event day.
- The event will conclude around 10:00 pm. (again, this time is weather dependent.)
- We are excited to present this 4th Annual event. Hoping for clear skies and favorable temperatures. Be sure to bring your sense of adventure!
What should you bring?
- Wear sturdy shoes & warm clothing, and bring a snack (or picnic dinner), drink, and a flashlight. (Please note that flashlight use is allowed only with red cellophane (provided) during the stargazing portion.)
- It’s a good idea to bring a small blanket or something to sit on.
- Please leave your pets at home.
- Ground lights will be kept to a minimum so that we can view the stars. Lasers will not be allowed.
- So that we can be respectful of the grounds, please plan to pick up your own trash (there will be a small number of barrels).
How do you get to Waitt’s Mt.?
- Waitt’s Mt. can be reached by walking or biking up Leonard Street or Mountain Avenue.
- The very limited number of parking spots at the park itself will be reserved for the storyteller, astronomers, musicians, essential event staff, and persons with disabilities that would prevent them from otherwise attending the park.
- The following parking lots will be open for Malden Reads parking: Citizen’s Bank, the Early Learning Center (entrance on Montrose St.) and Spadafora’s Funeral Home. Parking on Leonard and Tremont Street is allowed but please park only on the park side of the street.
- We will have vehicles (compliments of Malden Taxi and local volunteers) picking up participants from the parking lots to Waitt’s Mt. Pickups will occur approximately every 7-10 minutes between 6:00 pm and 7:30 pm, and vans will drive folks back to cars beginning at 9:00 pm. (Vans can drive folks back to their cars following the storytelling portion as well.)
- Though parking at Waitt’s Mt. will be very limited, we will have a drop-off area there.
- Please call Ryan at 781-870-0041 or email Jodie at email@example.com if you need to make special arrangements for parking or you need to communicate with us that evening.
What should you know about stargazing?
- No running, no food, no drink in the area we will set up for observing.
- No drugs or alcoholic beverages are allowed. Do not arrive intoxicated.
- Caution must be observed at all times, especially in the rocky area at the top of the mountain.
- A police detail will be present.
- The park is handicapped accessible and there is a flat area at the top.
See you at the top of Waitt’s Mount!